Danielle Parhizkaran/The Boston Globe via Getty Images

Report: Justin Herbert Expected to Miss Chargers-Raiders with Injury: Surgery Likely

Doric Sam

Los Angeles Chargers quarterback Justin Herbert is "very likely" to have surgery on his fractured right index finger on Tuesday, according to ESPN's Adam Schefter:

Schefter previously reported Herbert was not expected to play in Thursday's game against the Las Vegas Raiders due to the injury:

Los Angeles coach Brandon Staley told reporters that Herbert will see "a couple" hand specialists on Monday.

Herbert was forced to exit the Chargers' Week 14 loss against the Denver Broncos due to a finger injury. Staley told reporters after the game that he suffered a fractured right middle finger.

Herbert was initially deemed questionable to return before being ruled out at the start of the second half. He sustained the injury in the second quarter when he was pulled to the ground after throwing a pass. At the time of his exit, he was 9-of-17 for 96 yards and an interception. He was replaced by Easton Stick, who threw for 179 yards in the 24-7 loss.

Herbert had already suffered a fractured middle finger on his non-throwing hand in Week 4 against the Las Vegas Raiders, but he didn't miss any time. He's thrown for 3,134 yards, 20 touchdowns and seven interceptions this season, but the Chargers offense has not looked like the high-powered offensive unit that it was in years past.

At 5-8 following the loss to Denver, Los Angeles is at risk of falling out of the hunt for the playoffs in a competitive AFC. If Herbert does wind up missing Thursday's game, it will make the climb even more difficult for the Chargers.

Herbert has started 62 consecutive games, which is the second-longest active streak by a quarterback behind Buffalo Bills star Josh Allen's 84. However, it appears Herbert's streak is about to come to an end.

   

Read 0 Comments

Download the app for comments Get the B/R app to join the conversation

Install the App
×
Bleacher Report
(120K+)